Updated: Sep 12, 2019
1. Botox Prevents wrinkles: BOTOX® Cosmetic is a prescription drug that, when injected, temporarily paralyzes muscles. It contains a purified and safe form of botulinum toxin A, which is produced by the microbe that causes botulism. Manufactured by Allergan, Inc., it is used to treat permanent furrows and deep wrinkles in the skin that are formed by the continual contraction of facial muscles.
2. Botox is a Temporary procedure: The results of Botox are temporary, lasting 3-6 months, then the skin returns to its original shape since it has not been permanently altered. After you have experienced the first injection, you can decide if Botox is right for you and whether or not you want to continue treatment.
3. Botox Gives Quick results: You can expect to see results within 3-7 days of injection. In most cases, the drug is 100% effective.
4. Botox is a Quick Procedure: Compared to other aesthetic skin procedures, Botox only takes 5 -10 minutes to administer .
5. Botox is Administered by Skilled Medical Professionals: Botox can only be administered by a licensed Physician, Nurse Practitioner, Physicians Assistant, and/or Nurse who has participated in clinical training and a certification process. This minimizes any risk or side effects of the Botox injections.
6. Botox is Convenient: If you want to carry out a cosmetic procedure to refresh your facial features, then Botox Cosmetic is a safe and convenient method compared to more invasive procedures.
7. Botox has Few risks: There are few health risks associated with the procedure. Currently there are no documented cases of allergy to Botox Cosmetic. Botox Cosmetic is very safe when administered at the recommended dose.
8. Botox is FDA approved: Botox is FDA approved Botox for the treatment of furrow lines, crows feet, and forehead lines.
1. Side effects to Botox Cosmetic: Some people may have side effects with Botox Cosmetic injection. These side effects are typically mild and resolve within 24 hours of injection. Side effects include bruising, pain, tenderness, redness, and/or inflammation at the injection site. Rare, but more serious side effects that can occur with Botox injection are blurred vision, double vision, ptosis or sagging of the eyelid, brow or upper lip. These side effects typically resolve within 1-3 months and can be minimized by the use of proper injection techniques.
2. Allergic Reactions to Botox: Currently there are no documented cases of allergy to Botox Cosmetic. People with an egg allergy are required to have allergy testing prior to administration. Pregnant women are advised not to use Botox because there is a small chance that the drug can be transferred to the unborn baby.
3. Botox Can Prevent Squinting: Botox procedures may affect the ability to raise the eyebrows or squint and can sometimes prevents certain facial expressions. However, these effects are temporary. Typically resolving within 1-3 months.
4. Botox is a Temporary Solution: To maintain the effects of Botox injections, you have to repeat the injections every 3-6 months.
5. Botox can be Expensive: Botox ranges in price from $10-$28 per unit. The cost of a treatment is based on the area injected and the amount of Botox used.
6. Botox Failure: Botox Cosmetic that is administered by an inexperienced professional can cause undesired results. It is important to consult with a Botox certified physician or licensed medical professional prior to administration.